Tuesday 11 February 2020

When Death Approaches the Righteous


Mu’aawiyah bin Abee Sufyaan

Mu’aawiyah (may Allaah be pleased with him) stayed as an Amir in Syria for twenty years and another twenty years as the caliph of the Muslims. He moved from one position of authority to the other. When he was about dying, he said: “Make me sit.” And he was made to sit.
He started remembering Allaah and then wept, saying: “Today, O Mu’aawiyah, you have come to remember Your Lord after feebleness and ruin.”

He cried and said: “O Lord! O Lord! Have mercy on an aged sinner with a sinful heart, lessen the fault, forgive the errors and bestow your forbearance upon one who does not have hope in other than You nor trust anyone besides You.[1]” Then, his soul departed. May Allah be pleased with him. 

Bilaal bin Rabaah

When death descended upon Bilaal, his wife said: “I am grieved.” So, he removed the coverings on his face while in agony of death and said: “Rather, you should say: “I am delighted. Tomorrow, I shall meet the dearest ones: Muhammad and his companions.[2]

‘Aamir bin Abdullah bin az-Zubayr

As for Aamir bin Abdullah bin az-Zubayr, he was on the death bed counting the breath of life while his family members were around him weeping. During his last moments, he heard the caller to prayer pronouncing the Adhaan for the Maghrib prayer. This was at a time his soul was rattled in his throat; his agony of death increased and worry became great. When he heard the call to prayer, he said to those around him: “Hold me on my hand.”

They asked. “Where are you going to?” He said. “To the mosque.” They said, “While you are in this situation?” He said. “Subhaanallah (Glorious is Allah)! I can hear the call to prayer, why won’t I respond to it.” So they carried him and placed him between two men. He prayed one rak’ah with the Imaam and he passed away in his prostration…[3]

Yes, he died while in prostration… whosoever establishes the prayer and remains patient over the obedience of his Guardian. He makes him end up with His pleasure.

Abdur-Rahmaan bin al-Aswad

When Abdur-Rahmaan bin al-Aswad was on the throes of death, he wept. Then it was said to him: “What makes you weep, while you are such and such – in regard to worship, humility, piety and submissiveness.” So he said, By Allah, I am weeping, feeling sorrowful about (having to leave) my Salaah and fasting.”

Thereafter, he recited the Qur’an till he died.[4]

Abdul-Malik bin Marwaan

As for Abdul-Malik bin Marwaan, it is reported that when he was about dying, anguish enveloped him and life was constricted on him. So he ordered that the window of his room be opened, and it was opened. He then turned and saw a poor washer man in his shop. Abdul-Malik wept and said: ‘Woe unto me, would that I was a washer man! Woe unto me! I wish I was a carpenter. Woe unto me, I wish I was a carrier. Woe unto me, I wish I was never in-charge of any of the affairs of the believers.”[5] Then he died…

Source: Journey To The Heavens by Dr. Muhammad bin Abdir-Rahmaan al-‘Areefee, p. 44-49. Translated by Abdus-Samee’ Abdus-Salaam. Edited by Abu Naasir Ibrahim Abdur-Rauf


[1] This last supplication has been cited by Imaam Adh-Dhahabee (may Allah shower blessings on him) in Siyar A’laam An-Nubalaa (3/160). – Editor’s Note
[2] Siyar A’laam An-Nubalaa (1/359). – Editor’s Note
[3] The story is cited by Imaam Adh-Dhahabee (may Allah be pleased with him) in Siyar A’laam An-Nubalaa (9/253) – Editor’s Note.
[4] The story is cited by Imaam Adh-Dhahabee (rahimahullaah) in Siyar An-Nubalaa (5/12) – Editor’s Note
[5] See al-Bidaayah wan-Nihaayah (5/190)     

No comments:

Post a Comment