Thursday 21 December 2017

The Salaf and Passion for Knowledge



Most of the openhanded people have great passion for generosity. They do not refrain from it as long as there is the need to give generously. They do not accept the censure of the blamer nor bother about the rebuke of the rebuking person. As for those who have passion for knowledge, they are extremely fond of it and have passion for it more than the passion of every lover for his beloved. The most beautiful image of man cannot distract most of them from it. It was said to the wife of Zubayr bin Bakkaar or someone else: “May it do you much good since you do not have a fellow wife.” So she replied: “By Allah, these books are more harmful to me than a number of fellow wives.” 

The brother of our Shaykh, Abdur-Rahmaan bin Taymiyah informed me on the authority of his father thus: “Whenever my grandfather entered the toilet he used to say to me, ‘Read this book and raise your voice so that I can hear you.’”  I know of someone that was afflicted with the ailment of headache and fever and a book was by his head; whenever he recovers, he would read it and whenever the sickness overwhelms him, he would drop it. One day a doctor entered upon him while in that state and said to him: “This is not permissible to you, because you will overburden yourself and it may be the cause of losing what you desire.” 

Our Shaykh narrated to me saying: “When I fell ill the doctor said to me: ‘Your research and lecture increases your illness.’  I said to him: ‘I cannot stop that, and I will debate with you in your knowledge! If a person becomes happy and joyful doesn’t this strengthen his nature or spirit, and as a result wards off illness?’ The doctor responded: ‘Of course!’  So I said to him: ‘Verily my soul is pleased with knowledge and it strengthens my nature and I find relaxation in that.’ The doctor responded: ‘This is something outside our own treatment.’” 

So passion [for knowledge] is an attribute of perfection and it is the most beneficial and highest form of passion and it is based on the relationship existing between the soul and such attribute. For this reason, the highest and noblest souls are the highest and noblest in passion. 

Source: Rawdah al-Muhibbeen wa Nuzhah al-Mushtaaqeen by Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah

No comments:

Post a Comment