Tuesday 28 June 2016

Did Shaykh al-‘Uthaymeen Permit Taking Pictures?



In the Name of Allaah, the Most Merciful, the Bestowal of Mercy

From Muhammad Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen to his noble brother, Shaykh … may Allaah preserve him, make him among His righteous slaves, His believing and pious friends, and His successful party. Aameen.

To proceed: Your book, which comprises of greetings and naseehah has indeed reached me. May peace, mercy and blessings of Allaah be upon you. May Allah reward you on my behalf for your perfect naseehah, which I ask Allaah the Most High to benefit me with.

Undoubtedly, the path you have followed in your naseehah is the ideal way of giving naseehah among brothers, because a person is bound to err and forget; and the believer is a mirror of his brother; no one is a true believer until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself….

With regard to what you referred to, may Allaah preserve you, concerning my repeated response on the permissibility of the picture that is captured with a device (camera); my brother, I wish to inform you that I did not permit picture taking; that is, the picture that contains the soul of human being or others except when there is necessity or need for it like citizenship, licenses, establishment of rights and the likes.

As for taking pictures for veneration, remembrance, or for pleasure by looking at them, then I do not permit that regardless of whether it is statues or pictures and irrespective of whether it was made by hand or a device due to the generality of the Prophet’s statement: “The Angels will not enter a house which has a picture in it.” And I have not ceased to issue fatwa to this effect and command whoever has a picture for remembrance in his possession to destroy it. And I would stress on it greatly if the picture is that of a dead person.

As for making pictures of things that have souls such as human being or other than it, then there is no doubt concerning its prohibition and it is from the major sins because the Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) cursed the one who does it. This is obvious with regard to a statue or something made by the hand. But if it is with a camera that takes a photograph, and there is no action from the picture taker such as drawing the face or detailing the body and the like; and it is for memory sake and other purposes similar to it for which it is not permissible to take picture, then taking it with a camera is prohibited - a prohibition of the means.  However, there is no harm in taking pictures for necessity or need.

This is the summary of my view regarding this issue. So if it is correct, it is from Allaah and He is the Bestowal of it. But if it is incorrect, then it is from my shortcomings and deficiencies. I ask Allaah to pardon me of it and guide me to what is correct. As-Salamu alaykum wa Rahmatullaah wa Barakaatuh.

Source: Fataawaa al-‘Aqeedah, p. 398-399 by Shaykh Muhammad  bin Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him)

No comments:

Post a Comment